About Me

My photo
Native Austinite. Well educated.. always learning in my own way. Strong-willed & opinionated. I believe in making a difference. I believe in making myself a better person.. in my own eyes, not the eyes of society.
Mainstream society, and the social mores it professes to hold as "normal," "average," etc. are all hogwash as far as I'm concerned. I am very much a "trail blazer" and I live my life that way.

If you want to know more.. ask me :)

to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting. - e.e. cummings

Friday, March 19, 2010

SXSW: Taco Journalism ...

Plans were made to get up.. get up early enough, too.. to motor over to Brush Square Park for the Taco Journalism Breakfast Taco Meetup @ SXSW!

After all.. SXSW was in full swing, an honest-to-goodness Mexican taco breakfast (and FREE, too!), visit with friends: Mando, other friends.. meet new people, too.

Instead.. Carl & I woke up late =:o but still with enough time to get over there. Drove around for what seemed like an eternity searching for parking.. ended up dropping him off so at least he can grab tacos, and I kept looking. In the end, I parked along 4th St, in a Bus only parking area..

So, technically, I was illegally parked.. okay, I was illegally parked, period. But with all the coming and going, I just hoped no one would notice (or care).

I called Carl, he grabbed tacos for me.. he was on his way back to car.. I went to turn car on..

you'll never guess.. or maybe you will..

It wouldn't start!

It make this hellacious noise, but just would not turn over!

AAUUUGGGHHH!!!!

Walked back to tent, asked Mando and other friends if any had jumper cables.. No. Carl said cabbies have cables, he'd ask.. but they're going to ask for $$..

There were guys from Chevrolet letting people do test drives, surely they had cables, right? Wrong. (I found that hard to believe.)

Saw two APD officers.. nope, no cables because they were on foot!

Sufficiently frustrated, I finally told Carl to go ask the cabbies.. responses ranged from have no cables to $25.

I texted family for help; sister sent hubby, without cables because she thought I had my own.

uh.. does "circus" ever end?

Bro-in-law ran me to store to buy cables.. after returned, we jumped my car. Carl & I went to have battery checked.. sure enough, it needed to be replaced. So I just took care of it.

From time I sent text to family to having car jumped.. it had been roughly 2 hours!!

What an adventure!

Moral of the story..

When going out for breakfast tacos:
  • get up on time (better yet, get up early!)
  • if you own an automobile, have a working battery
  • if you own an automobile, have a set of jumper cables.. longer the better (car providing assistance is not always able to face the car needing the jump.. as was case w/me)

(Note: Pic above copy/pasted from FB)


No comments:

Post a Comment